All Star Band
• A comprehensive 9-month performance and education curriculum
• Using rock music as a platform, students strengthen technique, ensemble playing, performance, improvisation, music theory, and songwriting
• Opportunities to play real shows in real venues around San Francisco
• Weekly rehearsals, with guided instruction by inspirational teachers
• There are multiple bands within the All Star Band program
• Each fall, spots are available in existing All Star Bands and in new bands
• Players are matched in bands by age and skill level
• New players can join mid-year
Each band has the opportunity to play at least one live show at the end of Fall, Winter and Spring quarters. Past All Star Bands have even been invited to play with Jackie Greene and Michael Franti!
Request an Audition
• Guitar, keys, drums, bass, vocals & more
• Weekend 2-hour rehearsals
• September 26 through end of May
• Rock covers and songwriting
• Performances at venues like The Chapel and Hotel Utah
• Tuition – $1,470 for the full year, payable as two semesters
• Monthly payment plan – $210/month for seven months
• Program commitment is two semesters
• Partial scholarships may be available
• Can join mid-year
Request an Audition
2016/2017 placement auditions August 27, September 10
• Players are matched according to age and skill level to provide an ideal experience for all students.
• Players must have a basic understanding of their instrument or voice, with current and ongoing lessons highly encouraged.
• For the audition prepare any cover or original song (with a backing track on CD or iPod, if possible, or with an instrument and singing), plus one of the following to play with a backing band (in a key of your choice): “Radioactive” (Imagine Dragons), “Blitzkrieg Bop” (The Ramones), or “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” (Green Day).
• You’ll also have a chance to improvise over a 12-bar blues pattern (optional), demonstrate chord changes, varying rhythm patterns, scales, rudiments and/or vocal range.
• It is possible to join the All Star Band mid-year!
Request an Audition
All Star Band Director J.T. Locke has been playing guitar, writing and arranging songs for over 25 years and is committed to working with young musicians to make more and better music.
Some say “it’s only rock and roll,” but at Blue Bear, we see teamwork, commitment, growth, courage, responsibility, stage professionalism and most important, fun!
Students learn what it actually takes to turn individual assignments into a piece of artistic expression. During this process, they learn about their own instrument and craft, yet also learn to listen to what other students are playing. Developing this art of conversation with one’s band mates is one of the most important processes in the program, and an important one for future success anywhere outside the bandstand.
When we started the All Star Band program, we intended on creating an atmosphere full of community, skill building and a fun platform to rock out. We wanted to give young rockers the best atmosphere for learning and to give them the opportunity to perform in real, professional venues for their performances. We’ve managed just a little bit more than that – we’ve created a collective of dedicated young players willing to learn and develop the traits for success, on and off the stage.
“For the past four years, my daughter has taken private lessons, songwriting workshops, and been in several bands at Blue Bear. If she could be there every day, all day, she absolutely would. She has grown tremendously as a musician and, more significantly, as a person. The teachers are inspiring and create a supportive and welcoming atmosphere that is rarely seen.”
“The All Star Band, under the direction of Ryan Hickey, was an amazing experience for our son over the last four years! He not only played challenging music, but had the opportunity to learn how to play in a group and create music with other musicians. Very few teenagers get to play in nightclubs across the City – what a fabulous experience for any musician!”
“My now 18-year-old son began with Blue Bear when he was a 15 year old drummer, in a band which rehearsed weekly. His dedicated teacher knew how to get along beautifully with teenagers and also was an excellent instructor, on many levels. The band became closer as a unit and matured in their musical skills. The performing locations and number of opportunities provided by Blue Bear for its students are remarkable. The music study is serious yet fun. The staff is available and involved.”
“My son was worried he didn’t know what it was like to play in a band and now I can’t imagine him not being in a band. He’s learned how to hear instruments, how to improvise, how to play with others, how to have fun and express his love for music with others. Their first concert compared to their last concert shows this growth.”
We appreciate support from:
The Walther Foundation
The D’Addario Foundation